AdaptaGest Flex Why Are There Two AdaptaGest Formulas?
Optimal digestion occurs in phases, including stomach acid and digestive enzymes.
The AdaptaGest Core formula is your foundation digestive enzyme formula, while the Flex formula allows you to personalize your dose of hydrochloric acid to your unique needs.
We’ve separated Betaine HCL into it’s own formula, because not everyone requires the same dose to achieve ideal digestion.
Each capsule of AdaptaGest Flex includes 400 mg of Betaine HCL, allowing you to add capsules over time to discover the ideal maintenance dose that’s right for you.
One of my biggest frustrations as a clinician has been finding supplements that contain exactly the ingredients I want and don't contain the ingredients I don't want. For example, in the case of a digestive supplement, I wanted something that had HCL, acid-stable protease, carbohydrate and fat digesting enzymes, cholagogues to stimulate bile production, and bitters to stimulate acid secretion – with the right doses and forms of each – but that product didn't exist. So I decided to create it myself. — Chris Kresser L.Ac
HCL should always be taken with acid-stable protease - featured in our AdaptaGest Core formula - because it’s likely that if the stomach is not producing enough HCL, it is also not producing enough protein-digesting enzymes.
How to Use AdaptaGest Flex And Discover Your Personal Maintenance Dose
- Start with one 400 mg capsule of AdaptaGest Flex in the early part of each meal. You should begin to feel better digestive response following meals.
- After two or three days, increase the dose to two capsules at the beginning of meals. Then after another two days increase to three capsules. Increase the dose gradually in this stepwise fashion until you feel a mild warming sensation.
- When you feel this sensation, reduce the dosage to the previous number of capsules you were taking before you experienced it and stay at that dosage. This is your maintenance dose. You should notice significant improvement in digestion: less gas and bloating, better absorption, more regular and better-formed stools. Note: if you don't experience a burning sensation at 6 capsules, maintain at that dose or check with your health care provider before increasing further.
- If you start feel a warming sensation at that dose, reduce again. Over time you may find that you can continue to reduce the dosage, or you may also find that you may need to increase the dosage.
- After 90 days on your maintenance dose, try to gradually reduce the dose to zero. For some people, this will be possible. Others may need to take HCL indefinitely (this is especially true if you have a history of PPI or other acid-suppressing drug use).
- If you feel the mild warming sensation after taking only one capsule, you may not need the Betaine HCL in AdaptaGest Flex, and will benefit from the AdaptaGest Core formula alone.
Please Note: HCL should not be taken by anyone who has also been using any kind of anti-inflammatory medication over a period of time. This includes medications such as corticosteroids (e.g. predisone), aspirin, Indocin, ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin, Advil, etc.) or other NSAIDS. These drugs can damage the GI lining that supplementary HCL might aggravate, increasing the risk of gastric bleeding or ulcer.
If you have been taking any of these medications, the AdaptaGest Core formula may be a better choice for you.